Your roof is one of the trickiest aspects of your home to maintain. In order to ensure your roof is performing properly, it is vital to have it inspected and maintained on a regular basis. Roofs that have been neglected are at a greater risk of water infiltration and premature building envelope failure. The last thing you want is water leaking into your home in the middle of our rainy season.
Refer to these three easy steps to prevent your roof from leaking:
How to Prevent your Roof from Leaking
Perform a Visual Inspection
When it rains, the first thing you will want to do is make sure there are:
- No visible watermarks on your ceilings
- No puddles on your hardwood floors or carpets
- No buildup of moss & mildew on the exterior of your roof
- No water flowing over the side of your eavestrough or decks
- No odd, musty smells lingering on the top floor of your home
We recommend performing yearly maintenance in November or December. Every fall, it is important to:
- Remove all debris from your roof
- Clean out your deck drains, eavestrough and flush out your downpipes & drain tiles
- Inspect all roofing materials for signs of premature aging (i.e. curling shingles or separating seams)
- Ensure chimney, venting, and skylights are securely fastened & unobstructed
- Perform routine maintenance: shingle/shake replacement, metal shimming, hot weld seams, etc.
Every roofing system typically comes with a 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 or even 50 year warranty. The purpose of these warranties is to cover the roofing materials and installation. However, most roof leaks occur due to severe weather (wind and rain storms) or mischievous animals. In general, the damage is not a result of faulty workmanship or poor-quality roofing materials. Even if you have a number of years left on your roof’s warranty, it is wise to be proactive and have your roof replaced before damage occurs.
Depending on where you live, different regions of Vancouver will age your roof sooner than other regions. This is due to the amount of rain received in each region. For example, Vancouver roofs age faster than White Rock roofs, and North Shore roofs age faster than Vancouver roofs.
If you are proactive, the risk of your roof leaking is greatly reduced.
Prevent your Roof from Leaking
Protect your largest investment from our windy and rainy season. If any of the tips mentioned seem overwhelming, contact a professional roofing contractor. Whether they perform a roof inspection or regular roof maintenance, they will provide you with peace of mind that the Vancouver rain will stay on the outside of your home.
Do you have a question about how you can prevent your roof from leaking? Just call the experts from Macbeth Roofing & Waterproofing!
If you have any questions about your roof or need a second opinion on your roof’s health, contact Macbeth Roofing & Waterproofing! Call us at 604-593-1044 or visit our website.